Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gardening Time

It's Spring finally! My favorite season when I get totally motivated to go out and get in the dirt. Last year I decided to focus on developing the "bones" of the garden-- I've spent too many years and too much money planting perennials and then forgetting where they were planted and pulling them up. I've also tried and tried-again to plant those "impossible to kill" plants such as clematis and seniza and managed to kill them. I read gardening magazines religiously and see the beautiful gardens so dense you can't even see the soil but mine are far from that.

So this year, we (well, mostly me, the kids and hubby just dig and move what I tell them to) decided to put in some more large flowering shrubs, some roses and a few large spring flowering trees. Last year our big project was to put in a flagstone patio and firepit in the corner of the yard but ran out of summer and didn't finish-- Greg and I laid decomposed granite in the spaces this week and it looks nearly done. We have narrowed down a 55x55 lot into about 20x30 of grass, which will hopefully give us more time to garden and not lawn maintenance.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get a chance of some of my favorite parts of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment